Trip, Temporarily Interrupted

I interrupt the Ohayo! series to bring you a special news bulletin.

Last May 26, 2010, at approximately 11:00AM (Tokyo Time GMT +9:00), I did probably one of the stupidest things that I have ever done in the entire twenty years of my existence.

I lost my camera. And it was all my fault.

Zoe and I were sitting on the benches of Fussa Station, and I was feeling hungry so I set down my camera bag to grab some food from the other bag I was carrying. I was so busy eating that I didn’t notice right away that the next train that was approaching was already the one headed we were going to ride for Tokyo, so I panicked when I realized that and quickly ran inside the train, completely forgetting that the bag was still on the chair. It was only until the next station that I realized this gross act of carelessness. We rushed back to Fussa, but it was gone. We asked around the station’s Lost and Found, but no luck.

Dahil sa katakawan ko, wala na akong camera ngayon. :(

Of course, I was devastated. Who wouldn’t? That camera was a part of me already. For more than two years, I’ve used it to document many events in my life, be they the most important to the most trivial or juvenile. And as if that wasn’t bad enough, my Suica Card (my pass to all the train lines) and the 6000 yen I still had for shopping went along with the bag. I was seriously thinking that I should just hurling myself over the train tracks and die a bloody death.

I think I went through the three stages of grief during the one hour trip to Tokyo. At first, I was still in denial, hoping that all of it was just a bad dream and I kept pinching myself to wake myself up and find myself in bed. When that didn’t work, I decided to sleep the rest of the way, leading me to have an anger induced dream that involved me screaming at everybody I passed by. But by the time we arrived at Tokyo, I was much calmer and had reached the inevitable reaction: acceptance. I was quiet for a while upon reaching Endo Museum, and I think I cried for a minute or so in the bathroom upon arriving there. But basically that was it.

Of course, by then, I was trying to figure out where I would go from here, and my thoughts ranged from selling my iPhone in addition to my Meteor just to get started on saving up for another camera, to stealing one of the precious artifacts from the museum and sell it so that I could buy a new camera by Saturday in Akihabara. These didn’t seem too feasible though, so I didn’t dwell on these ideas

But one of the things I mulled over for a significant amount of time was if I would be able to continue blogging or not. I wasn’t really feeling like telling stories of how great our Japan trip was, especially  when in reality I was still feeling crushed and miserable inside because of my great loss. And I also couldn’t bear the thought of not being able to post photos anymore, the primary reason that I decided to stop writing in my journal and blog instead. By the time we had gotten home last night, I was set on proclaiming an indefinite hiatus from WordPress, and resume only at such a time that I was ready to.

But today, something changed. I don’t know if it was that I still managed to have fun despite not having a camera, but I began to see the brighter side of things. I had survived fine without a DSLR for eighteen years, surely I can survive a few more.  It would take a lot of tightening around the belt, and a lot less expensive luho, but I’ll get there. I’ll get a camera again. It’s not the end of the world. And of course, there’s always the possibility of it getting returned to the station. Stranger things have happened, and if it does, it won’t be the first time for me. When I lost my wallet back during the first semester of my 4th year, it was returned back to me a few days later by one of the security guards on campus. I still have a tiny little speckle of hope in humanity’s kindness.

Lesson learned I guess. 1) Always check before leaving places to see if one had left anything; 2) Label and name important stuff along with your address and telephone number;3) Wag tatanga-tanga when in public places,  and 4) Stop eating at inappropriate times and places.

I was really considering not continuing the Ohayo! series because I needed time to lick my wounds, but I realized that that wouldn’t be right.  I regret losing my camera in such a stupid way, but I think I would regret it even more in the future if I failed to document the remaining half of our trip. It’s one way to be not able to document thru photos, but it’s another thing entirely to not document the trip AT ALL. Besides, I can mooch off my dad’s photos for the remainder of the trip. That’s enough, for now.

Life goes on, and so does our amazing Japan vacation.

P.S. I was considering posting photos of myself with my camera, but I think that would be too much. I might end up crying all over again.

P.S.S. Since we need to be sleeping relatively earlier since our next couple of days are going to be hectic, I might get late in posting the remaining days of my Ohayo! series. I’ll try to update when I can. But I’ll make sure to complete them. :)


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Allie has seen many a dust bunny in her lifetime, most of them in her dorm room. She is often mistaken as a 13-year old, further intensified by her weird fashion choices that mostly involve cutesy patootsie rings, colorful knee high socks, and ribbons and bows in her hair. She dreams of waking up one day and finding herself as a character in Star Wars. Preferably a jedi. With a purple lightsaber.

Follow me on



%d bloggers like this: